Saturday, January 30, 2010

Valentine's Day Candy... Penny Candy! (Updated for 2018)

The Valentine's Day Ice Cube candies

Valentine's Day candy with a twist:


I remember one of the first Valentine's Days I celebrated with my college boyfriend, way back when I was 19. Anybody remember ice cube candies? I absolutely loved ice cube candies.. I'd always treat myself to 1 or 2 whenever I went into a store which stocked them. They have a smooth softer chocolate center in a slightly harder shell... kind of like a truffle. My mouth waters just thinking about them, and I haven't come across any for a couple of years now.

Well, my boyfriend bought me a whole box of them. 30? 40? 50 or more? I don't know how many were in that box, but I remember storing them close to the window in my dorm room (as refrigerators were not common in dorm rooms back in the 70's) so that they wouldn't melt. I guarded them carefully. I'd eat one or two a day. They lasted forever!

These candies are still around... I found them at two online stores; the Vermont Country Store  and The Old Time Candy Store

Ice Cube candies from the Vermont Country Store


Candy is so appropriate at Valentine's Day.... What a great idea for an unusual Valentine's Day gift: Your lover's favorite "penny" candy! If not those ice cubes that I love, what about candy buttons? Or Mary Jane's? Or bubble gum cigarettes or cigars? You know, the Candy you ate as a kid!



Both the Old Time Candy Company and the Vermont Country Store have great selections of candy you ate as a kid... specials and assortments for penny candies going back to the 50's.

No comments:

Post a Comment